32 Group Carlisle became operational in December 1939. This section covers the period through WWII to the Stand Down in 1945 and its reactivation in 1947. (32 Group became 22 Group under the re-organisation of 1953.)
32 Group Control Locations:
Huntingdon’s Funeral Company’s underground stables West Walls, Carlisle 1939 to 1941.
10 Norfolk Road, Carlisle 1941 to 1962. [This becomes 22 Group Control in 1953 and closes in 1962]
Following the Corps being given the Nuclear reporting role in the mid 1950’s a new 22 Group Control was constructed. It became operational in 1962.
The following Posts were included in 32 Group. Most of the Posts were built in 1939 [see notes for exceptions].
A1 Steele Road [AWR shows this Post as 31 Group A1 Post]
B3 Haydon Bridge
D4 Penrith [built in 1951]
E2 Greystoke [? AWR duplication in Post designation with E2 Keswick]
E2 Keswick [later to be re-sited at Threlkeld]
E4 Bassenthwaite [built in 1948]
J2 Rockliffe (Carlisle)
The above links are to the ROC Heritage Website. [link]
We would be grateful to anyone who could assist by sharing information, documents or photographs from this period.